The Malacological Society of London is dedicated to the advancement of research and education on molluscs. It is an international organization based in London, UK, and welcomes as members all who are interested in the scientific study of molluscs.
The Society was founded in 1893, with the objectives “to advance education, research and learning for the public benefit in the study of Mollusca from both pure and applied aspects”. It is a registered charity (Reg. No. 275980).
The main activities of The Society are to:
- Publish the Journal of Molluscan Studies, a leading international journal for research papers on molluscs (with Oxford University Press)
- Distribute a bulletin, The Malacologist, to Society members (also freely available online)
- Make awards for research and travel to students of malacology and non-salaried applicants
- Award prizes for outstanding contributions in the field of molluscan biology
- Organize meetings and symposia
- Promote education and awareness about molluscs